[mythtv-users] STAY AWAY FROM WI-FI !!!

John Andersen jsamyth at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 00:20:29 EST 2005

On 12/8/05, Raphael Pooser <rpooser at gmail.com> wrote:

> Um, linux isn't really that bad with wifi as people seem to think.  All
> you need is a good chipset.  ANYTHING RALINK WILL DO.  Why? because they
> have provided the source for their drivers to the linux community and
> now there are good high quality drivers native to linux, no ndiswrapper,
> no windows drivers, just a straight up kernel module code which you
> download from rt2500 at sourceforge and compile from source, so you know
> it will work on your system no matter what.

GhAaaaaa!!!

I bow to you o master if you got a RaLink card working reliably with that
absymal sourceforge driver.  You are turely talented.

I've tried it.  It sucked.  It would drop out for no reason, did not
support half the needed utilities (scanning, signal strength measurement)
would work one boot, and not the next, and generally was  a
monstrous PITA.

I ran ndiswrapper on it and it was stable as a rock.

However,  WiFi still does not seem fast enough for more
than ONE connection to my backend at a time, where as
the 100gig wired network works fine for this.  This is too bad
because I wanted to rum my backend wireless, but now
have to have it wired and at most only one Frontend
works wireless at a time.

On the other hand, My last SuSE install uses a Atheros driver
on my Netgear card and it worked right out of the box.  Never a need to
go the ndiswrapper route.