[mythtv-users] RE: STAY AWAY FROM WI-FI !!!

zoiks2004-ivtv at yahoo.com zoiks2004-ivtv at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 8 20:07:36 EST 2005

In agreement, my setup uses .11g, with the mythbox
connected via cat5 to a Belkin AP/bridge, connected
using WPA encryption to my Linksys wireless router/AP.

I also have laptops (running ubuntu) that connect via
the version 300x Belkin PCMCIA cards (which use the
Ralink rt2500 chips) to the same network (WPA also)
and everything works pretty swell.

The mythbox gets 16 Mb/s over the cat-5-to-wireless,
quite consistently (using the Belkin).  I haven't
measured the speed on the laptops.

My main beef with this is the laptops always see the
Belkin as a second AP and the people I live with are
always asking, duh-hu, which "so-and-so" ssid do I
connect to again (two appear with the same name)?  The
answer is, the one with the weaker signal, since the
router is upstairs in teh storage room.

Another beef is that this is my second belkin AP.  I
had bought 2, but one of them has failed.

http://www.devolo.com/co_EN/produkte/dlan/mldlanhsethernet.html