[mythtv-users] Correcting overscan in MythVideo/mplayer

Keith C mythtv at keithandjill.com
Thu Dec 8 13:39:08 EST 2005

On Dec 8, 2005, at 11:38 AM, korebantic wrote:

> It looks like my overscanning problems with the PVR350 are comming
> back to bother me again in MythTV. All the videos I watch happen to be
> subtitled anime, and the subtitles are being cutoff at the bottom of
> my screen.
>
> Any suggestions on settings for mplayer (or maybe it needs to be
> somewhere else) to scale the video down some?

I use the following in ~/.mplayer/config for my 720p output :

vf = scale=1184:-2,expand=1280:720:38::0

You can adjust it for your display size.  the scale argument scales
the video to 1184 wide and the -2 for vertical tells it to maintain
the original aspect ratio.  Then the expand argument creates a black
window 1280 wide by 720 tall, and places the newly scaled video 38
pixels in from the left, while centering the vertical.

Good luck!

Keith C