[mythtv-users] nVidia 8174 and HDTV

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Thu Dec 8 06:50:13 EST 2005

>> 	So the nvidia drivers continue to get more broken the more they
>> release?  Sounds encouraging.  You may want to try some of the "noedid"
>> options.
>>

> I pounded on them for an hour or so with various options, but as long as it
> thought it was doing TV out, it wouldn't allow any modes larger than old
> school composite, but it wouldn't allow composite sizes on an HD720p TV out.
> So it backed itself into a corner and died.

 	How does it think it's doing tvout for HDTV?  Are you using DVI?
What do you mean by "composite sizes?"  The only part of composite that's
standard is the 480 vertical (and interlaced)... the horizontal is
"standard" at 352, 480, 640, 704, 720, etc.  In reality it's not defined
digitally... just analog.

 	That's yet another reason I like analog/component.  Generate a
video signal, display a signal.  No smarts to get confused and get in your
way.

-Cory