[mythtv-users] alternative GPU - graphics cards with open source drivers question

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 02:59:43 EST 2005

I looked into these a while back, and I was unable to find any
standalone video cards available for purchase.  With the video
processing capabilities they have, the S3 products would make ideal
HTPC video cards.

  As you mentioned, the Unichrome is available integrated into many
motherboards.   S3 also announced a couple new models recently, the
S25 and S27.

If you can find one, there are still a few questions..  Does the
driver from the unichrom project support these chips?   Do the
standalone cards have the same MPEG decoder capabilities as the
unichrome?

I currently use an Nvidia FX5200 (it's fanless, and supports XvMC
MPEG2 acceleration).   But, I would like to replace it with a card
that has open source drivers.. if something is out there.