[mythtv-users] Request: mythbackend to not autotune externally tuned sources (e.g. Cable over S-Video)

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 12:51:44 EST 2005

Should probably be directed to the dev list, but I wanted to see if
it's just me that has this issue or if other users with similar setups
also experience it.

BACKGROUND:

My backends each have PVR-x50 cards with S-Video/composite input from
digital cable boxes, controlled via IR blasters from within MythTV. On
startup of the backend, the channel change script is executed which
then changes whatever is on the TV (direct feed from cable box) to the
last 'good' channel for the card.

This is very annoying as the backends also have DVB cards and use
auto-shutdown/wakeup to record. Whenever a box wakes up to record a
program (DVB has priority due to the much better signal quality and
smaller filesizes). The cable channels are used when either the DVB
cards are all occupied or the program is on a cable-only channel.

As I do not use LiveTV functionality (which the mythbackend behaviour
seems to be directed to) apart from impressing friends with the
pause/rewind features, I am hoping that for direct-feed inputs (or on
a card by card basis) it would be possible to stop this automatic
channel changing.

When recording a show, the backend changes channel anyway, so there is
not an issue there. When firing up LiveTV

I realise that auto tuning of DVB cards is useful to enable EPG
updates, which is why I would like to be able to stop only direct
input cards from tuning at startup.

DESIRED BEHAVIOUR

I would like to be able to choose whether the backend auto-tunes cards
at startup, and consequently, whether choosing LiveTV autotunes to the
last channel at the point of entering LiveTV, rather than changing
channel at startup for a purpose that is not used.

I'd like to hear if any other regular users find this behaviour
frustrating, as I'll direct it to the dev list if there is a
consensus.

Thanks,
Nick