[mythtv-users] Why does /dev/dvb reset permisions on boot?

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 20:52:35 EST 2005

On 06/12/05, Weston, Toby <toby.weston at misys.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Probably an obvious question (bit of Linux newbie here I'm afraid) but why
> would the permissions on my dvb devices reset to allow just root access each
> time I reboot? Myth can't access them as the 'mythtv' user doesn't have
> write permission but I change this using chmod... it just can't retain the
> change...

udev issue - the cleanest solution is to write your own rules for DVB
(and other) devices - the following page is a great introduction to
udev and should get you sorted:

http://www.reactivated.net/udevrules.php

Essentially, create the rule for the DVB devices by coping the content
of the existing udev rules file (which could get overwritten if udev
is updated) and create a new rule file (with a filename that is
alphanumerically less than the name of the main rules file) with the
amended owner/group/permissions. These settings will then be applied
everytime the machine starts. I created various groups (e.g.
audio/video/lirc) when configuring my various udev devices and then
add users to these groups when they require access.

Nick