[mythtv-users] DVB Recordings & Switching Aspect Ratios

Brandon Stoll mrmagoo at mrmagoo.org
Tue Dec 6 17:59:12 EST 2005

    I'm not sure if this is something everyone sees or if nobody else
has complained, but all the channels I'm getting with Comcast are
recording and whenever a 4:3 program/ad comes on, there is a huge
white bar at the top of the recording.  When I use the cable connected
to my TV's digital tuner, it either cuts this off or doesn't have this
problem at all.  It's hard to give an example without putting a big
recording up, and the JPEG compression kills the effect the lines have
on the video, but here are a few screenshots- the first showing a
normal picture, the second two being commercials during the same
recording.

http://www.mrmagoo.org/temp/HDTV-1.jpg
http://www.mrmagoo.org/temp/HDTV-2.jpg
http://www.mrmagoo.org/temp/HDTV-3.jpg

    Is this normal?  If it is, how hard would it be to have MythTV
detect the line to automatically switch to the correct aspect ratio
and cut these lines off?  They are incredibly annoying since they
flicker white/black on one side, and I'd like to have a correctly
stretched picture since burn-in is an issue for me.  Another thing I
found interesting is some of the PVR350 recordings have this same
faint line show up every once and a while-almost as if the image was
being cropped badly by the broadcaster.  I have no other cards that
can get QAM, so I don't even know if this is a driver thing but it
really doesn't look like it to me.