[mythtv-users] Suggested CPU?

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 17:00:28 EST 2005

Greg Grotsky wrote:

> I've got the AMD64 3200+ your looking at in my mythbox and at
> 1920x1080i I get around 60-80% cpu usage depending on the channel I
> tune.  720p material is about 50-70%.  I don't get any stuttering of
> HDTV unless I use timestretch or if I mess with the OSD a lot... this
> is with deinterlacing on (any version of it, bob, kernel, etc.).  I am
> using freq scaling to downclock the CPU to 1k when I'm not using it as
> well, it seems to work very well.
>
> Doing HDTV with the dual-core 3800+ would probably be pretty nice,
> it'd probably leave a lot of overhead avaiable for crunching stuff in
> the background, which leads me to a question.  The dual-core are still
> 939pin right?  Are they swappable with any 939 mobo, or does the mobo
> have to support the dual-core chip?
>
> -Greg
>
> On 12/5/05, *Bertrand* <bertrandmuscle at yahoo.com
> <mailto:bertrandmuscle at yahoo.com>> wrote:
>
>     I want to get a CPU in the 939 line for HDTV usage. How fast should I
>     get to make sure everything is handled with some room to spare?
>

>     I was going to get this:
>
>     AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB
>
>     Until I saw this article:
>
>     http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1893821,00.asp
>
>     suggesting this:
>
>     AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core

dual core are 939 pin.  They are compatible with virtually any recent
939 mobo (supposed to be with all).  This is mainly because the chip
itself mainly interfaces with the motherboard in the same way as a
single core 939 cpu.  The dual channel memory bus gets split by the chip
into a single channel for each core if I remember correctly.
So have no fear in upgrading your 939 board to dual core.
Still, I hate that extreme tech article (nothing against them); they
built a ridiculous windows mania hardware schmorgasbord, complete with
two uneeded external boxes tethered inelegantly to their nice HTPC case,
all for only $2300, ugh.
Raphael