[mythtv-users] motherboard woes

Chris Rouch chris.rouch at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 04:54:07 EST 2005

I own a PC with an ASUS A7N8X deluxe motherboard. This has been really
stable, and I have been very happy with it. Earlier this year I bought
a PVR 500, which I am mostly happy with. However my PC has become
increasingly unstable - it hangs when busy.

I've been troubleshooting the problem and this weekend changed the
motherboard, having already upgraded the power supply, used a
different disk and cables and run extensive checks on the memory. I
installed an ASUS A7V880 motherboard which  works just fine, until I
plug in the PVR 500. Then it gets to the end of the POST and hangs. I
have support calls outstanding with both ASUS and Hauppauge, but I
think the bottom line is that I made a poor choice.

Can anyone recommend a motherboard that they know is stable with a PVR
500? The only requirements I have is that it must be ATX and socket A.

Alternatively does anyone have any suggestions for getting either of
the above motherboards to work reliably?

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

I've already searched the gossamer archives for this - it seems to be
a recurring theme. However the few posts that mentioned a PVR 500
recommend motherboards that are not available here now (I'm in Holland
so I'm using tweakers.net as a reference for this).

Thanks,

Chris