[mythtv-users] [OT] Trancoding 'live'

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Dec 4 02:09:34 EST 2005

Phill Edwards wrote:

>>Due to hardware issues (haven't bought my big HD set yet), and wanting
>>the additional channels (-2, -3 etc) and aspect ratio of HD, I'm looking
>>to take the output from my HD tuners and stream-convert to NTSC (that
>>is, *not* wait until the program ends).  The goal of stream-converting
>>is of course to be able to use this for live tv when offline transcode
>>would be a pain, eg. Superbowl. :)
>>

>MythTV already supports LiveTV if that's all you're trying to do. Or
>perhaps I misunderstood your question.

If you mean your frontend (or one of your frontends) can't handle
high-def playback, your best option for "live" transcoding from ATSC ->
NTSC is plugging the S-Video/Composite out of your cable box into a
PVR-x50.  If you're using OTA instead of cable, you could get a STB ATSC
receiver (like
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7292146&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03022&id=1118840815760
-- note that I don't recommend this one as I've never used it, but it's
the type of thing you would need).

Put another way, if your machine can't do playback (=decoding) of
high-def streams in real time, there's no possible way it could do
transcoding (=decoding + encoding) of high-def streams anywhere near
real time.

Mike