[mythtv-users] Automount confusion

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Sun Dec 4 01:07:05 EST 2005

On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 05:25:53PM +0000, jonny Linux wrote:
> Yes, I think I misunderstood what was supposed to happen. I thought if I did:
> ls /mnt/auto
> it would show the new directory "cd"
>
> Except, that doesn't happen because you're not actually accessing the
> mountpoint.
>
> However, if I type:
> ls /mnt/auto/cd
> The DVD drive spins mounts the disc and eventually lists the contents of the
> DVD.

You may be interested in the "--ghost" option described in the automount
man page.  It causes autofs to create the target directory as soon as
the daemon starts, but not mount it unless accessed.  That way the path
would be available all the time as per your assumption.

--
Joke template: Three guys walk into a bar. One of them is a wee bit
stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability.