[mythtv-users] [Semi-OT] Intel 2200 Wireless chipset with Myth...

Darren Black lists.drdaz at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 16:27:27 EST 2005

I just bought myself a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop (wasn't keen on buying
Dell, but the price was good and it's a surprisingly nice machine). The
machine contains an Intel 2200 wifi card as part of the Centrino package. My
attempts to get the card working well in FC4 have been, well... ugly would
probably be the best word. That's perhaps a little beside the point of this
post.

What I'm really wondering is if anybody here uses such a card under linux to
stream TV/recordings over. In the times I have actually had the card
functioning, the wireless connection was unable to sustain a constant stream
(without pausing and jitter). My streams are from a PVR150 card and encoded
at up to 8500kbit/sec. I have tried turning the bitrate down to 6500 which
helped, but not for very long. My previous wireless gear was some DLink "b+"
standard equipment. My current router is a Linksys WRT54GS. I should be
getting better throughput with this setup, however this is not the case in
Linux (to this point at least). Performance in Windoze is alot better - the
same recordings play back problem free using dsmyth.

I suspect that my inability to configure the card correctly is the cause of
the poor performance, but I'd like some feedback to either confirm or
disprove this hypothesis. So do let me know :-)

Cheers,
/drdaz