[mythtv-users] [OT] Trancoding 'live'

glen martin glenm at locutory.org
Sat Dec 3 10:52:57 EST 2005

Neither google nor searches on this list pointed up anything, at least
to my eyes, so apologies if this has been previously beaten to death.

[OT] because this is likely beyond what MythTV is even trying to do.

Due to hardware issues (haven't bought my big HD set yet), and wanting
the additional channels (-2, -3 etc) and aspect ratio of HD, I'm looking
to take the output from my HD tuners and stream-convert to NTSC (that
is, *not* wait until the program ends).  The goal of stream-converting
is of course to be able to use this for live tv when offline transcode
would be a pain, eg. Superbowl. :)

Has anyone tried something like this, or seen reference elsewhere? It
would seem to require tightly integrating somewhere in the stream
processing, either by compiling mencoder into the backend, or setting up
some sort of socket-based stream to transcode as data become available.

Thanks,

glen