[mythtv-users] tv_grab_au (1.44... 1.45?)

Michael Smith myth at immir.com
Fri Dec 2 14:23:28 EST 2005

I wrote:
> I've updated the script to version 1.44; this one takes the channel
> names in the config file, eg "Prime Southern", and *matches* against
> the column header from the web page to determine the appropriate
> column for that channel. So, "Prime Southern", being a substring of
> "PRIME SOUTHERN, CANBERRA, WOLLONGONG, STH COAST" still matches this
> column.
>
> The names are used as regular expressions in the match (case ignored),
> so you could easily modify the config file to make it reasonably
> resilient to changes in the web page channel names (eg, replace
> 'southern cross ten capital' with 'ten' or 'capital' etc).
>
>   http://www.immir.com/tv_grab_au
OK, a warning before upgrading to this version, and a request for
comments...

Some of the channel names in the list at the end of the script contain
non-alphanumeric characters that have special meanings in regular
expressions. As a consequence, switching to this version may cause the
script to fail to match the channel in the config file with the one on
the web page.

If you're familiar with regular expressions, this is easy to get around.
Anyone here *not* familiar with regular expressions?

My suggestion: I change the code (for version 1.45 :-)) to check whether
the channel name is of the form "/regexp/" and in that case do the
matching; otherwise just do a straight string match as before. So, users
familiar with editing config files and happy making their own regular
expressions can easily take advantage of the new feature, while past
behaviour isn't broken.

Comments? If I don't hear something interesting beforehand I'll release
another update with this change tomorrow night.

Michael.