[mythtv-users] remote-controlled mythfrontend?

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Thu Dec 1 23:51:48 EST 2005

    Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 23:09:02 -0500
    From: Chris Ribe <chrisribe at gmail.com>

    MythWiFi is what you are looking for. Search for it.

Huh.  I'd -never- have guessed from the name; I assumed that was some
sort of bandwidth-scrunching thing for people who wanted to stream
video over 802.11.  Thanks!

...though from its website documentation and a quick look at its
code, it -looks- like it basically sends fake keypress events to the
frontend, acting essentially like an IR remote control, e.g., to do
anything, you have to be looking at the frontend and know what state
it's in, etc.  Do you know offhand if anyone's successfully used this
more for "play this specific thing" rather than for "emulate these
buttons"?

I -suppose- I could either (a) script it so it backs all the way out
to the top of the UI no matter where it might be starting from, then
goes back in and "pages" down to the right thing and plays it, or (b)
use the general idea and have it talk more directly to the DB and
frontend (but if I'm not simulating buttons, I'll have to make sure
I'm not confusing the front end...).