[mythtv-users] remote-controlled mythfrontend?

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Thu Dec 1 23:00:17 EST 2005

While I'm poking at mythweb...

If I'm surveying my already-recorded programs, and click on one of the
thumbnails, mythweb currently tries to send the .nuv (really mpeg)
file directly to my browser, which is running on my desktop machine
[not a Myth box].  Firefox has no idea what to -do- with the file, so
it tries to inhale hundreds of megabytes and explodes.  Presumably the
solution there is to figure out what MIME-type mythweb is using to
represent these files and define a mapping to something else, like
mplayer, but I haven't looked at that yet [is it documented somewhere?].)

But in fact, what I -really- want to have happen is to be able to tell
my frontend, which is across the room and has the PVR-350 which is the
actual TV output, to go play the thing I just clicked on.  Has anyone
ever implemented this sort of functionality?

If not, I can deal with writing some sort of glue script that gets
called by Firefox (and which -hopefully- also gets the relevant
filename), but it'd be great if someone already has the relevant
code snipper to get mythfrontend to do the right thing once I know
what's been clicked on.  (Otherwise, I guess, I need to figure out
how mythfrontend arranges to get something played, and try to do so
by hand, and figure out whether that's going to fatally confuse the
mythfrontend that's running as to what's going on at the moment.)

Thanks!