[mythtv-users] Silent Fan for Socket A (AthlonXP 3000)

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 1 19:27:56 EST 2005

--- Meatwad <meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com> wrote:

> Brad Fuller wrote:
>
> > Joe Votour wrote:
> >
> >>If your board has the four holes surrounding the
> CPU
> >>(which is apparently not required by AMD in Socket
> >>designs), then you can use one of the Zalman
> flower
> >>designs.  When the fan is turned down to the
> lowest,
> >>it's very quiet, and still does a good job of
> cooling.
> >> (I use them in all of my PCs, including my socket
> 754
> >>MythTV machine.)
> >
> > I just put in a all copper Zalman on a socket 754.
> Much quieter than the
> > stock.
> > you probably could get by with the copper and
> aluminum mix. I think it
> > was $20 cheaper at newegg.com.
>
> I have three of the Zalman Cu/Al flowers right now -
> first one bought
> over two years ago IIRC. No problems whatsoever. At
> the speeds they are
> set at now, they cannot be heard over the
> Silverstone power supplies
> I've been using. There may be quieter fansinks out
> there but I haven't
> felt the need to improve on these.
>
> Slightly off-topic, is anyone using a Seasonic power
> supply? I was
> reading some reviews and they sound promising. 80+
> efficiency across all
> loads sounds like a really good idea for and media
> center machine. If
> they are as quiet as the reviewers claim, I'll
> probably switch.

I have two Seasonic power supplies actually - I have a
Super Tornado 400W in my MythTV machine, and an S12 in
my Via EPIA-based file server.  (I was also using a
Super Silencer in my desktop until I picked up a P150
case which includes the NeoHE).

I find that the Seasonic power supplies are great, and
are very quiet.  I can't say that I've actually
measured real numbers on them, but the noisiest thing
in my MythTV machine is the two 60mm exhaust fans on
the back.  With those fans undervolted, the machine is
reasonably quiet (by reasonably, I mean, I can't hear
it while sitting on the couch, 10 or so feet away).

-- Joe