[mythtv-users] Help with new Kernel

Jonathan Tidmore jtidmore at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 11:25:26 EST 2005

Fedora Announce List shows all new packages released:

When I do a 'yum update' it will ask to confirm the update, I say N if I see
any major changes like new kernels or ivtv versions etc.

I do wait 3-4 WEEKS minimum before updating a kernel.  Unless I see
something major in the changelog that I could benefit from, what's the point
of risking destabilizing a perfectly working system by updating kernels or
drivers?  If it works, don't touch it is my rule.

On 12/1/05, Kirk Davis <Kirk.Davis at epsb.ca> wrote:

> Thanks for the information.  I'll try and switch back to the older kernel.
>
> Where are new kernels announced?  How do you monitor or know that if you
> do a yum upgrade that it will upgrade to a new kernel.
>
> ---- Kirk
>
>  ------------------------------
> *From:* mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org [mailto:
> mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] *On Behalf Of *Jonathan Tidmore
> *Posted At:* November 30, 2005 4:41 PM
> *Posted To:* users
> *Conversation:* [mythtv-users] Help with new Kernel
> *Subject:* Re: [mythtv-users] Help with new Kernel
>
> I'm assuming you didn't remove your older kernel or kernel modules.  The
> easiest way to go back is to edit /boot/grub/grub.conf and change the
> default= parameter to your older kernel.  0 is the first kernel listed in
> grub.conf , 1 is the 2nd, etc.  So if your grub.conf looks like the
> following:
>
> default=1
> timeout=5
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> hiddenmenu
> title Fedora Core (2.6.14-1.1644_FC4)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.14-1.1644_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.14-1.1644_FC4.img
> title Fedora Core (2.6.14-1.1637_FC4)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.14-1.1637_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.14-1.1637_FC4.img
>
> Then kernel 1637 will boot by default.
>
> You should be very careful about updating to new kernels.  I try to wait
> 3-4 weeks after a new kernel is released before upgrading so ATRPMs can
> catch up and release new kernel modules for the latest kernel.  Also, new
> kernels also mean new trouble.  There have been infamous kernel version that
> destroyed ide drives and or damaged CPU.  The latest is not really the
> greatest in Linux, the almost latest is the greatest ;).
>

> On 11/30/05, Kirk Davis <Kirk.Davis at epsb.ca> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >         I am following jarod's how-to for installing mythtv onto FC4.  I
> > set everything up a couple of week ago and all was fine but I think FC4 has
> > bumped the kernel version and I can't seem to get the kernel modules.  I'm
> > not new to Unix but I am new to Linux so I'm a little lost.
> >
> >         I installed the OS and did the: yum upgrade  (so far so good).
> > It upgraded the system and installed the 2.6.14-1.1644-FC4 kernel.  Not
> > I'm list because Axel doesn't seem to have the kernel modules for lirc,
> > nvidia, ivtv (I need the development ones as I have a PVR-150) yet.
> >
> >         Should I wait or go back to an older kernel?  How to I go back
> > to an older kernel?  I don't mind reinstalling from scratch as this is a new
> > box that I'm setting up but if I do then how to I specify what kernel to
> > upgrade things to.
> >
> >         Thanks
> >
> > ---- Kirk

> --