[mythtv-users] How big is your database?

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Thu Dec 1 00:53:26 EST 2005

    Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 12:54:44 +0800
    From: "W.Kenworthy" <billk at iinet.net.au>

    Use LVM.

Yes, I know about LVM, but it doesn't solve my problem, because the
-filesystems- can't be easily resized.  (ext3 is easy; it can grow and
shrink.  One of JFS or XFS [I can't recall which] can only be grown.
Neither can be shrunk.  So if I might have to copy the entire
filesystem -anyway-, LVM does me no good unless I need to expand to
other disks, and I'm not going to be using the recordings directory in
that way.  And while I use LVM on some of my hosts, it's not compelling
enough to use it in the Myth, since it's -much- more of a hassle to
swap disks around or do dd-style temporary mirroring (e.g., for
experimentation or to save a disk before it dies) with LVM.  On my
regular workstation hosts, sure, LVM is exactly what I want, so I
never have to worry about "which disk has space for this tree?" sorts
of issues.  But they all run a single ext3fs, which is easily
resizeable, and that resizeability is why I initially didn't want to
use anything else for Myth.  But its poor deletion performance means I
should change.  [I could redo the entire FS without largefile4 support
and win a bit, but it's not a great solution and actually -more- work
than repartitioning.])

And I won't use reiserfs.  Not 3, not 4.  Never again.