[mythtv-users] S-Video capture card choices?

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Wed Aug 31 06:52:50 UTC 2005

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 23:26:09 -0700, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10383781&loc=101&sp=1
>
> No remote (it's the MCE version), but $63 and no rebates and free
> shipping.

Ooh. But buy it on a new buy.com VISA and get $30 off...that's nice.<s>

> IMHO, being forced to use an IR-based RC5 remote is too much
> of a hassle, anyway.  I have two PVR-x50 remotes I'm not using (one from
> my PVR-350 and one from the PVR-250).  So, really, the tuner is not the
> only part of the card I paid for but am not using.

What do you use for for remote control? I'm going to need an IR Blaster
anyway (this guy sells 'em for $12+$3 S&H http://www.irblaster.info/),
which says to me that if I do it right, I can replace my cable box with
some sort of MythTV remote. All the better if whatever it is controls the
TV--though, come to think of it, I guess I won't need to control the TV
much beyond the volume if I'm watching everything (DVD, Cable, etc.)
through the MythTV Box.

> http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10385910&loc=101&sp=1
>
> If you really want the remote, $85, no rebates, and free shipping.  But,
> you can build the serial IR receiver ( http://lirc.org/receivers.html )
> for a lot less than $22.

I have too many remotes as it is. I hadn't considered it until you
mentioned this, but if my MythTV box allows me to replace the three
remotes I need currently that makes it worth the cost of entry itself.<s>