[mythtv-users] S-Video capture card choices?

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Wed Aug 31 00:14:05 UTC 2005


On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:55:00 -0700, Michael T. Dean  
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> The difference there is probably that the $50 "grabber" is exactly
> that--a frame grabber.  It dumps raw frames to the CPU and the CPU uses
> software to encode them (for Myth, into a NuppelVideo container in
> RTJPEG (for lowest-processor usage) or MPEG-4 (for smallest files)  
> format).

You might be right. Or maybe there were tuners in there that I just didn't  
notice. Like, here's a $60 card:

http://www.provantage.com/buy-7aver026-ultratv-1500-mce-xp-mpeg2-encoder-avermedia-video-capture-tuner-multr1500-shopping.htm

I guess it's also a tuner. (I was looking for grabber/encoder sans tuner  
so I was probably just not seeing.)

Anyone use an external capture/converter like this one:

http://store.yahoo.com/compusb/usb20mphavic.html

I would think that usb2.0 wouldn't have the needed bandwidth.

> As far as the rebates go, watch CompUSA, Circuit City, etc.  They
> typically have a good rebate every couple of weeks (none this week,
> though).  I'm guessing (assuming you're in the US) Labor Day weekend
> will be the time to buy.

I would, but I'm allergic to rebates. Or they're allergic to me. Whatever,  
I never get the money back, so I tend not to buy things with rebates  
unless they're in-store/instant.



More information about the mythtv-users mailing list