[mythtv-users] Backing up the mysql database

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Tue Aug 30 02:37:52 UTC 2005

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 12:54:58AM +0000, Brian Wallen wrote:
> I'm moving backend servers, and I want to take my database with me.  I
> looked at the documentation at mythtv.org and did what it told me, but I'm
> getting an odd error. Can anyone help? Here is what I do.
>
> mythtv ~ # mysqldump -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg -c > mythtv_backup.sql
> mysqldump: unknown option '--name-resolve'

According to the mysqldump man page your command is formed incorrectly.
The options should all precede the database name and you can't specify a
password using the -p option.  Try:

mysqldump -c -u mythtv --password=mythtv mythconverg > mythtv_backup.sql
or
mysqldump -c -u mythtv -p mythconverg > mythtv_backup.sql

In the second case mysqldump will prompt you for the password (which is
also more secure since it doesn't show in a ps listing).