[mythtv-users] Image/schematic of wiring?

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 00:32:46 UTC 2005

> I've got an S-OUT and a DVI on the back of my cable box. Do-able? Worth
> it? Or do I just call and get one with a firewire port?

The DVI won't do any good for capturing. The S-Vid will give you
anything that your tuner box can decode, but in SD analog, albeit high
quality SD. Hauppage cards can capture S-Vid, although I've only used
the 250 with coax. If you're able to get a tuner box with firewire
(supposedly the cable cos have to give you one if you ask, but who
knows how this is enforced) you'll be able to capture whatever HD
streams the box lets through directly from firewire without an
encoder. You won't, however, be able to change what is let through.

I suspect that only HD streams that are OTA are available, cable HD
streams probably not. Maybe someone can shed some light on this.

It's worth using analog capture because you get everything you'd
normally get, plus it uses a lot less space. I'd work on getting as
good an SD picture as possible before building up to HD. Those new
digital tuner boxes put out quite a clean signal.