[mythtv-users] MythGame

Marty Ravell mythtv at rave-tech.com.au
Mon Aug 29 10:38:32 UTC 2005

>On 8/23/05, Marty Ravell <mythtv at rave-tech.com.au> wrote:
>> I've just upgraded to ivtv 0.3.7h in an attempt to get MythGame going but
>> seem to be having some problems.
>>
>> XMame is installed and I can launch it from the command line (output is
on X
>> using the framebuffer of my PVR-350). Seems to run fine although the
window
>> size is small (I'm sure there is a setting somewhere I can tweak). It
gets
>> about 37 fps depending upon the game.
>>
>> I've gone through the "Utilities/Setup -> Setup -> Media Settings -> Game
>> Settings" and entered in all the appropriate paths.
>>
>> When I go to "Media Library -> Play Games" I can see the games that I
have
>> in the ROMS directory (these are all zip files and I am assuming that I
do
>> not need to unzip them).
>>
>> When I try to select an actual game to play I get a brief flash of a blue
>> Myth 'dialog box' (sometimes with the text 'Loading Game' briefly visible
>> but NO game starts.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

>> Regards
>> Marty

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the post and sorry for the delay in replying. Damn work gets in
the way of MythTV way too often!

>Try running myth from a terminal window and then you can see the
>arguments that mygame is using to run xmame. You can then run Xmame
>from a command line with the same arguments to see if it loads.  If it
>doesn't then try changing the arguments until it does.  In my case I
>had to get rid of the '-joytype 4' option. You might also need to add
>the argument -noperfect-yuv to the command to get it working properly
>in full screen mode with the PVR-350.

Good tip! I found a few options that need changing. My next big question is
how does one change the options that MythTV uses for running XMame? There
are a couple of obvious things in the UI which seem to link to certain
options. Any idea  how to do the -noperfect-yuv etc?

Is there a way to specify arbitrary options to be added to the command line?

>I'm also using ivtv 0.3.7h and about half of my games work fine.  The
>other half will launch fine in a small window but segfault when I try
>and run them full screen.  I haven't investigated this too much but
>I'm guessing it might have something to do with the newness of XV
>support on the 350.
>
>Chris

I only installed the ivtv stuff by grabbing the release and compiling it
etc. Is this what you talk about when you mention XV? Or is there some other
driver that I need to be looking into?

Regards
Marty