[mythtv-users] capture card

James Howison james at freelancepropaganda.com
Sun Aug 28 23:58:08 UTC 2005

On Aug 28, 2005, at 12:29 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> Jarod Watkins wrote:
>
>> I was wondering what is the cheapest mythtv compatible capture
>> card  with mpeg2 encoding? I have a satellite receiver, so a s-
>> video  connector is required. Thanks ahead.
>
> I would recommend using a Hauppauge (even if you can get a Yuan or
> something else cheaper).  Currently the cheapest of the Hauppauge
> line is the PVR-150 (it's also the best--the PVR-500 is basically
> just two PVR-150's, so it's not really "better," just two of the
> best).
>
> You can find the PVR-150 for about $70 after rebates at local
> retailers (CompUSA, Circuit City, Best Buy, etc.).  If you don't
> want to wait for a special, it will cost about $90.

Does anyone know if the minimum system requirements listed on the
Hauppauge site (ie PII 733Mhz for the PVR-150 and PIII 1.2GHz)
applies to using the cards under Linux and MythTV, or are those just
for the bundled windows software?  Any point in trying the PVR-150 in
a box with a PII 713Mhz?

Also the PVR Database (http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/) is down (looks
like it has been for a while), are there any mirrors, or alternative
sources of configuration information?

Thanks,
James