[mythtv-users] dvdrip -> MythTV - How do I use a vob file?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 19:25:05 UTC 2005

On 8/27/05, Nick <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/27/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >    I'm playing a bit with dvdrip today. I ripped a title to my MythTV
> > storage disk, although in another directory. I'm building mythvideo
> > and mythdvd as I write this.
> >
> >    What's the easiest way to work with vob files in Myth?
>
> Stick it in your MythVideo path and open it with a VOB-friendly media
> player like Xine?
>
> Nick

Hi Nick,
   Thanks. OK, I can open and view the vob files within Xine:

mark at flash ~ $  xine /video/DVDs/Day/vob/001/Day-001.vob
This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.99.4.
(c) 2000-2004 The xine Team.
No accelerated IMDCT transform found
mark at flash ~ $

I also seem to be able to do it using mplayer so I seem to have some
options. Neither of these apps are on my Myth frontend machines so
I'll build them later.

QUESTION: dvdrip broke the DVD into 4 vob files. The first 3 are 1GB
each followed by a shorter one. Do I need to somehow stitch these back
into a single file to make it work or can Myth really play these in
order? I'm trying to set up MythVideo to say 'Play Day-2.vob after
Day-1.vob' but it seems to require keyboard interaction the way I'm
running Xine within Myth

Possibly I just haven't figured out the right Xine command yet.

Thanks,
Mark