[mythtv-users] [OT] Remote Control question - not all buttons work

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 08:12:51 UTC 2005

On 8/26/05, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it therefore the case that the remote manufacturer has enabled
> different buttons for different devices? So for example, some of the
> buttons work when it's in TV mode and a different set work when it's
> in DVD mode? If that's the case then that truly sucks big time! Why
> don't they enable every button for all devices - surely it wouldn't
> cost more?

It's quite likely a lot of multifunction remotes do this. My Chameleon
6-way remote has no buttons itself (a touch sensitive panel) and
depending on the function (TV,VCR,Sat etc) selected, different buttons
appear, meaning you can't use all the buttons unless you program it
further or learn new buttons. I think the manufacturers do this by
default to make it less confusing for the 'average' consumer, but a
PITA for the more adventurous.

Nick