[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend performance on PPC Linux / OS X

Jens Baumeister jens.baumeister at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 20:29:01 UTC 2005

Hi,

since my old Powerbook's display died last night and a replacement
would be too expensive (I'm going to buy a 12" iBook instead), I'm now
left with an ultraslim 550 MHz G4 system that works fine if connected
to an external monitor.

I've been wondering whether it's powerful enough to run mythfrontend.
(For my kitchen or bedrooom.) Last time I heard, the OS X frontend was
still a resource hog, requiring something like 1 GHz minimum. Is this
also true for a version running under Linux on the PowerPC or could my
processor suffice in that case?

I know that MPlayer OS X can play my recordings on the TiBook - it'd
just be nicer to have a full-featured frontend. If there's no way to
get mythfrontend up and running on the laptop, I'll probably d/l
recordings across the LAN via mythweb, since that'd be the next best
thing. (Mythsreamtv probably won't work, since I can't image my PIII
600 backend doing the necessary on-the-fly-transcoding.

Jens