[mythtv-users] Zap2it question.

James Armstrong james at thearmstrongs.org
Thu Aug 25 16:42:40 UTC 2005

>> After reading this thread, I realized that Zap2it didn't send me an
>> e-mail notification that my subscription was going to expire. Anybody
>> else? It expires today. Thanks!
>

> When your subscription expires depends on when you last completed a
> survey, so it's different for each user.
>
> You can find out your next expiration date by looking at the Listings
> section of the TV->System Status page.
>
> I suppose if you were really worried about it expiring, you could always
> write a script that runs mythfilldatabase, parses its output looking for
> the string "Your subscription expires in XX days", and sends you an
> email when the number gets too low. You would then tell MythTV to runs
> this script in place of mythfilldatabase for your daily updates.

I had this happen last Saturday. The usual Friday night shows (Stargate
SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Monk, Battlestar) all recorded fine. Sunday I
went into Schedule / Upcoming Recordings and it said I had no shows
scheduled. I recompiled with the latest SVN and that did not help. After
running mythfilldatabase manually and seeing error 500's I finally
looked at my zap2it account and it had expired on 8/5. I wrote a patch
to the mythfrontend that will check the guidedata each time you go into
the Watch Recordings screen and popup a warning if it is low. I hardly
check the Status screen so I did not catch it.

I might just write a patch to mythfilldatabase and have a configurable
email address to send warnings to.

- James