[mythtv-users] ALSA Digital output

David George david at thegeorges.us
Thu Aug 25 03:12:52 UTC 2005

On 8/24/2005 9:33 PM, Nick wrote:

>On 8/25/05, Peter Judge <peter at judge.co.za> wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 13:54 +0200, Peter Osterberg wrote:
>>

>>>mplayer -ao alsa:device=hw=0.0 is the correct setting for analog output
>>>mplayer -ao alsa:device=hw=0.3 should be the correct setting for digital output
>>>

>>I'll second the suggestion to look through the wiki. But shouldn't the
>>device above be 0,3 (that's a comma, not a full-stop/period)?
>>

>It should be a comma. If the comma is placed at the end of the line,
>I'm sure it means if the specified device is not available, sound will
>be routed through the default ALSA device.

The comma he referred to should be a period.  The comma you are
referring to would be after the 3 in hw=0.3

 From the mplayer manpage:

       -ao <driver1[:suboption1[=value]:...],driver2,...[,]>
              Specify a priority list of audio output drivers to be used.

       If the list has a trailing â,â MPlayer will fall back on
drivers  not
       contained  in  the  list.   Suboptions  are optional and can
mostly be
       omitted.
       NOTE: See -ao help for a list of compiled-in audio output drivers.

       EXAMPLE:
                 -ao alsa,oss,
                      Try the ALSA driver, then the OSS driver, then
others.
                 -ao alsa:mmap:noblock:device=hw=0.3
                      Sets  noblock-mode,  mmap-mode  and  the
device-name as
                      first card, fourth device.