[mythtv-users] 350 Tv Out vs. Nvidia 5200

Erik Pettersen pettersen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 12:43:31 UTC 2005

Forgive the slight threadjack, but...

Does the PVR350 suffer the same EOF lockups in mythtv/linux that
happen in the windows world?

To the original poster:
In my opinion; the pvr350 and it's hardware decoder/svideo output
looks better than most software decoding / video card's svideo out (
out of the box/stock )

That's not to say a name brand fx5200 or higher will look bad, just
that you have to give the  nod to pvr350. I believe with tweaking,
proper settings, and a good software decoder you can get very
close/equal to PVR350's output.

>From the windows side of things, instability when using the PVR350
while forcing a gui "overlay" through the mpeg decoder/tv out drove me
to madness after some initial success/happiness.

I'm of the opinion (unless ivtv and this xv patch mentioned
previously, which has piqued my interest)  that what little the FX5200
or the like lacks in PQ via svideo out makes up for in flexibility and
stability.  Anything you can see on your monitor you can see on your
TV (mame, other applications, etc) with a regular video card, without
question.  Plus you've got the option of DVI/HDTV.

Of course, if you already have a pvr350 I'd consider trying to get it
to work, but if you were considering buying one or the other at the
start of a project IMHO video card + hw encoding tuner card is the
safer/easier route.

e.
--
http://www.byopvr.com