[mythtv-users] This is dumb

Claude Boucher mythtv.user at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 05:21:03 UTC 2005

I have the exact same problem, with a system I'm building for my dad. I
have to force a 'depmod -a' and a 'modprobe ivtv' in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
to load the driver. I trashed the FC4 (2.6.12-1_1398_FC4) install
(sorry, I forgot to save the logs), but here's the start of the
modprobe.conf I've written for the PVR-150MCE (model 1042, tuner 47)

alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
alias tveeprom tveeprom-ivtv
alias tuner tuner-ivtv
alias msp3400 msp3400-ivtv

My modules in /lib/modules are recent (HcwMakoA.ROM and HcwFalcn.rom
symlinked to ivtv-fw-enc.bin shows version 02050032)

Without the manual load
I don't get any device created in /dev/video?
I get blank when I do "/bin/dmesg |grep Initialized"

When I load the drivers manually or through '/etc/rc.d/rc.local', I can
'cat' some video and sound, change the channel on the tuner with
'ptune-ui.pl' and change some card parameters with '/usr/bin/ivtvctl'.
But, when I try to watch some live TV in MythTV, I get channel 4 for 10
seconds; I can't change channels and I get throwned out of Live TV
because of an unspecified error.

I should say that this card was in my production box (running the most
recent Myth software from ATRpms, and 2.6.11-1_1372_FC3) until yesterday
and was running strong, day in, day out.

So, count me in as part of the clueless class of 2005 ;)

Claude