[mythtv-users] XvMC output not working

T.P. Reitzel tpreitzel at charter.net
Tue Aug 23 05:11:41 UTC 2005

I, too, really need XvMC working. Currently, I'm using an el cheapo ATI
Wonder VE for my tuner. I know. I know. ;) I'm also using an el cheapo
PC, 1.2 GHz Celeron, with no AGP. My videocard is an nVidia GeForce FX
5200 PCI. My audio card is a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. MPlayer 1.0 pre 7
plays MPEG streams quite nicely through nVidia's libXvMCNVIDIA. The CPU
utilization hovers around 30% for a DVD through MPlayer. As far as
MythTV, I tried v 0.81.1 which didn't really work with the
aforementioned setup and XvMC. I had constant lockups. As far as SVN
pulled last night, MythTV still has constant lockups with XvMC. However,
XvMC through nVidia's libXvMCNVIDIA interface seems to actually work
now. The video stream rarely hesitates at all during playback, but the
lockups continue. I notice that the video stream plays for about a
couple of minutes before hardlocking the PC. I can see hear the audio
stream, but the PC requires a hard reboot. The process never fails. I've
tried various combinations in the Playback options for the TV Settings,
but the result is the same - lockup. Am I overlooking some setting or
are the lockups due to an incomplete implementation of XvMC in MythTv or
nVidia's driver?