[mythtv-users] Quickie Question

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Aug 23 01:23:33 UTC 2005

David Ellis wrote:

> I have a wonderful working MythTV Setup, Lirc is great, TV Capture is
> Great, even HDTV is great.
>
> What I want to do is send commands to MythTV from a command line,
> preferably identical commands to those by Lirc………..quick google search
> didn’t reveal a solution, so I thought I’d ask here.
>
> Consider the following scenario:
>
> Ssh into the box:
>
> - change channel to 50
>
> - exit
>
> Any ideas?

I've played around with using xtrap to send keystrokes to the Myth
window, but found that it's really difficult to do much of use (other
than change channel or adjust volume--which are really only useful when
I'm in the room watching the TV) because of the prompts and the assumed
visual feedback (even for changing the channel, it's hard to tell if
you're on the right channel without seeing what's on).

For example, I have a jumppoint for Manage Videos (to add new videos),
but when I send the keystroke using xtrap, Myth will often prompt
whether I want to delete some recordings. Since I can't see the screen,
I don't know if/how many prompts there will be.

Also, I have a jumppoint for MythStream (not MythStreamTV), but if I
send the keystroke for it, I then have to send the keystroke for select
so it selects and plays the first stream listed. If I want a different
stream, I have to know how many down/right arrow keys to send.

Likewise, when I want to back out of something, I have to know how many
Escape keys to send (and this often varies depending on how I entered
the current mode--i.e. using a jumppoint means one Escape and going
through the menus may mean 3 or 4.

Probably MythWifi ( http://studwww.ugent.be/~aveys/mythwifi/ ) is the
closest thing you'll find right now.

Mike