[mythtv-users] Hauppauge 250 IR Remote Functional Everywhere but Mythtv

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 19:48:41 UTC 2005

On 8/21/05, Dave <dbadia at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/21/05, Joe Votour <joevph at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > The irw program doesn't interact with your .lircrc
> > file at all.  It just displays the name of the button
> > as defined in /etc/lircd.conf.
> >
> > Are you running mythfrontend as root?  If not, then
> > that's likely why things aren't working.  I notice
> > that you're looking at the file in /root/.mythtv, but
> > if you're running mythtv as user "mythtv", which most
> > people do, then it won't work.
> >
> > -- Joe
> >

> Yeah, I was just using irw to test - I have read several times that
> irw is not used with Myth.  Also, yes, I am running mythfrontend as
> root.
>
> I did a make clean all around, ran configure with the --enable-lirc
> option, the recompiled and installed.
> A few (but not all) of my remote buttons are working now and lircd
> shows a new connection when I start the frontend.
>
> For the buttons that don't work, I must having something messed up in
> my .mythtv/lircrc file

I had an issue months back where LIRC would create /dev/lirc but
MythTV was for some reason looking for /dev/lirc0 (or the other way
around). I created a symlink and this cured the problem (if using udev
you might want to adjust the rule to create both devices). You might
also check the permissions on the devices to make sure the
mythfrontend user can access them.

Nick