[mythtv-users] Slightly OT - Controlling the CPU fan

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 10:19:34 UTC 2005

Howdy,

Even though my Myth backend does not sit in the lounge, it does sit in
the study and the fan noise is driving the family nuts to point they
want the backend shutdown when they are in there.

I have done heaps of searching around and can't seem to find any solid
info but I would like to be able to throttle back the fan on the CPU
when the backend is idling as it seems to most of the time.

I have lm_sensors running and I know the speed of the fan, but I can't
find any way to control it.  It is a Sempron 2400 sitting on a crappy
generic mobo.  Also, I am sure I could afford to turn the fan down as
the highest temperature the CPU has gotten to so far is 50 degree
celcius (although it is winter-ish here in QLD, Australia atm).

Anyways, does anyone have any suggestions other than sticking the box
in the garage?

Cheers,
Whytey

I have GMail invites, if you want one, email me direct.