[mythtv-users] Key difference(s) between mythfilldatabase and mythfilldatabase --update?

Niels Dybdahl niels.dybdahl at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 08:44:41 UTC 2005

> I'm just wondering what the difference is between running these two
> commands when using an XML source file for data (i.e. what data is
> lost/preserved when run with and without the --update option).
>
> I read in the mythfilldatabase help that --update runs non-destructive
> updates on the DB, but how non-destructive is it? I.e. will it take
> into account changes to program details already in the DB and update
> those. What data would be lost without using the --update option.
>
> Thanks for anyone that can clarify this. Before I try and put my C cap
> on to get a definitive answer myself, I'm hoping someone can explain
> it concisely.

My impression from running with and without --update is that the
programinformation is completely replaced for the days present in the
XML file in both cases.

The only difference I have noticed so far is that running without
--update might add channels to your setup. I have a system with two
tunercards - one analog and one for DVB-S. I have to run
mythfilldatabase twice - with --file 1... and with --file 2... If I do
that without --update, then all the DVB channels will be added also as
analog channels and the analog channels will be added as DVB channels.

Niels Dybdahl