[mythtv-users] upgrading mythtv system

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Fri Aug 19 18:21:15 UTC 2005

A recent thread "Redhat 9" raises an issue I am hoping the list can
assist with.

I have a Mythtv system .17 on FC3 ATRPMS which has been working just
fine.  Thanks to all the developers for such a good product.  :)

I am getting ready to build a second system to be used as a slave
backend/front end to the existing backend/front end system.

As such I think it would be prudent to upgrade the existing system then
introduce the new system using the same version of the code.  I don't
really want to upgrade to FC4.  Had enough fun getting Nvidia drivers
and NIC to work on the existing system. :)

I plan on making a backup of the mysql database prior to attempting the
upgrade.  Is there anything else that should be backed up prior to
executing the upgrade?  After backing up the database and shutting down
mythfrontend and mythbackend are the following steps sufficient:

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade mythtv-suite

Have not used apt-get very much so I'm not sure the above is correct.

Any specific steps needed to make this a smooth process?  Any guides on
recovering the database if things go wrong?

Thank you.