[mythtv-users] PVR 350, record from VCR

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Fri Aug 19 15:35:49 UTC 2005

Nick wrote:

>On 8/19/05, Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet.net> wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>I have a PVR 350. Normally it's primary input is SVideo from my Dish
>>reciever. However, I'd like to record some of my old VHS tapes to
>>disk via the tuner input so I can throw away the old tapes and preserve
>>their quality over time.
>>
>>I know I can switch inputs on the 350 via 'C', but what is the best way
>>to go about recording a 2 hr VHS tape? Is this even possible from the
>>LiveTV interface?
>>
>>Ultimately, I'd like these recorded tapes to show up under the video
>>section, but my CPU is way underpowered right now and I can't
>>decode mpeg in real time using software mplayer, so it would be better
>>for them to show up in the TV section for now (this way Myth will
>>make use of the 350's hardware decoder). But I'll need to label them
>>somehow and preferably put them all under a specific category/show.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>

>You could setup a manual recording for the duration of the tape. I
>would recommend using SVideo or composite to record from the tape
>instead of the tuner as I've had better experiences of doing this.

Care to elaborate? I'm already using the svid input on my PVR 350, so
unless I degrade the
input quality by inserting an A/V switch, it makes the most sense to
just hard wire the VCR
to my tuner input. Was the quality bad for you, or was it more of a pain
to get working,
or what?

>Temporarily swap the SVideo/audio input from the cable box to the VCR,
>and then schedule a manual recording starting in the next few minutes.
>Cue up the VCR on the TV, then as soon as the recording starts, press
>play on the VCR and the tape should be recorded through the SVid
>connection from the VCR to the PVR350.
>
>It's quite straightforward and this way you should be able to keep the
>video in MythTV's recordings list allowing you to assign it to a
>group. You also get to name the recording to whatever you want from
>the manual recording interface which sounds like what you are wanting
>to do.

This sounds perfect. Thanks!

--
Jesse Guardiani