[mythtv-users] OT: NFS - Anyone seen a problem like this

Michael J. Lynch mlynch at gcom.com
Fri Aug 19 12:54:11 UTC 2005

I realize that this question doesn't have much at all to do with
Myth proper, but when it occurs it's always when I'm watching a

The problem is the playback will freeze.  There is no response
from the keyboard or mouse.  If I switch to a different VT, top
show's a pretty much idle processor.  Since I can't get out of
playback, I kill off mythfrontend, but still no response.  Finally,
I killed off everything on VT7 (X) and I eventually got a login
prompt on it.

Login works but hangs when bringing up network services.  Finally,
I unmount the NFS video share and remount then everything starts
working again.

My set up is backend running FC2 on AMD 3200++.  Frontend running
FC2 on P3 733Mhz.  Both using Myth 0.17.

I don't really think this problem has anything to do with Myth.  I
was wondering if anyone else has ever seen a problem like this with
NFS.  Is there an NFS option I could try that might help.  One
other note, I don't have to do anything to the backend machine to
make playback work again.

Anyway, thanks for any thoughts anyone may have on the subject.

Michael J. Lynch

What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about -- author unknown