[mythtv-users] mythmusic issues

Stephen Cole scole5 at nc.rr.com
Fri Aug 19 11:54:55 UTC 2005

Dewey Smolka wrote:

>I've found that the music module likes to crash to the desktop with a
>seg fault if mythvideo was playing previoulsy but the machine has been
>idle for a while. I haven't been able to track down what's wrong, but
>restarting mythfrontend in the morning is no big deal. It doesn't seem
>to mind if it's been idle after playing music.

I don't watch many video's, so this can't be the sole culprit  It's
possibly related to watching tv as well, but I haven't been able to
decipher any set pattern of failure.

>It sounds to me like you have database issues. Every time you change
>any files in your music directory, you have to go to Setup -> Music
>Setup -> Scan for New Music. If the files are on a network share, make
>sure it's working, and make sure the MythTV user can read the music
>directory -- and can write if you're ripping CDs.

I've never changed any files in the music directory.  I add new stuff
through "import cd".

>I find it's generally easier to use direcotry sorting rather than id3
>but you need to plan your directory structure. I keep everything in
>~/music/genre/artist/album/track.ogg. In the music setup, there's a
>sorting option. Set it to directory.

I do use directory sorting but was hoping that with the compilation
artist feature I could use genre/artist/album sorting but until I can
get compilation artist to work right directory sorting is much better.

>I'd really like it if the playlists were a bit easier to deal with,
>but it still works well if you just set a default playlist and
>randomize. I find it's a lot easier to change the playlist later by
>pressing '3' if you know where all your music is because you put it in
>/genre/artist/album/ than to worry about where id3 sorting might have
>put it.

I'd love to use the "3" option from the playlist to change the current
playlist, the problem is that it either freezes the UI on the frontend
or it ignores the changes I've made.  So it's not really useful.  Also
It is annoying that when I change the selected music the update is not
immediately pushed to the database, so that when I try and play the
playlist and mythmusic crashes, on restart of the frontend I've lost my
selected music and have to do it all over again.  This is what really hurts.

>I don't know what the limits of the database are, but I run a P3 700
>with a Turtle Beach Riviera card. I usually keep around 40-60 records
>in the playlist, but I've had the whole lot -- around 6k tracks in the
>list at once with no problem.
>
>Still, I wish it were easier to set up and maintain playlists, and
>switch between them more easily. What I'd really like is if there was
>a priority queue. I'd like to have it play a default playlist in
>random order, but let you browse the library and send things to the
>front of the line in the order you pick them.

Sounds nice.