[mythtv-users] Archiving Shows to DVD

Marius Schrecker masch at tiscali.no
Fri Aug 19 06:39:45 UTC 2005

Snip from Nicks link:

Initially, in countries using the PAL standard (e.g. most of Europe) the
sound of DVD was supposed to be standardized on PCM and MPEG-2 audio, but
apparently against the wishes of Philips, under public pressure on December
5, 1997, the DVD Forum accepted the addition of Dolby AC-3 to the optional
formats on discs and mandatory formats in players. The vast majority of
commercial PAL releases employ AC-3 audio by now.

In other words: older (pre 1998) European DVD's probably don't include AC-3....

Please, please, PLEASE remember that the US of A isn't the ONLY country
in the world (no offence intended Matt).

Cheers

Marius

Registered Linux user