[mythtv-users] backend / frontend not completly clear to me

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Thu Aug 18 19:16:54 UTC 2005

>>> r.gielen at home.nl 08/18/05 3:02 PM >>>
> Thanks for the replies,
>
> I have standing an AMD 1800+ Athlon 512MB in my basement,
> think I will buy a tuner to put in there. and connect the tv cable
> to that machine. And use a front end on my own room.
> What is the best hardware configuratiion for the front end?
> 800Mhz 256MB enough? because it only needs to stream the video...

The backend doesn't need to be all that powerful.  You may
want to switch those two devices if possible.  Other than
transcoding, you shouldn't need much more than a 1ghz
for a backend.

What is the network connection in between - wired or wireless?
Either one should work, but an 800mhz p3 should do fine as
a frontend for everything but HD.

Paul