[mythtv-users] Can I play a nuv file on a non-myth computer

Sim simon.hampton at freebel.net
Thu Aug 18 16:27:27 UTC 2005

On Thursday 18 August 2005 08:36, Nick wrote:
> On 8/18/05, Sim <simon.hampton at freebel.net> wrote:
> > I have a problem that DVDs and myth recordings have jerky feedback.  I'd
> > like to check that the recordings are perfect even if playback is a
> > problem
>
> Assuming the other computer has MPEG2 playback codecs and the nuv file
> comes from either DVB or was recorded by an ivtv capture card, you
> should be able to play them (they are essentially MPEG2 files renamed
> to nuv). If the file was recorded by a non-hardware card, I'm not sure
> you can (I've never tried with non DVB/ivtv files) unless the other
> system can play Nuppelvideo files.

I simply want to play back recordings made on the computer in the lounge that
runs mythtv (backend and frontend).  I presumed they were played on that
computer by mplayer or some other application but when I simply tried mplayer
filename.nuv on the other linux machine that did not work.  Hence my
question.  So the format is whatever mythtv uses when you have a winfast TV
2000 XP deluxe (software encoding I suspect).

Simon