[mythtv-users] LCDproc and MythTV

Mike Geisterfer m.geisterfer at sympatico.ca
Thu Aug 18 02:45:59 UTC 2005

At 2005/08/17 - 09:42 PM, you wrote:
>Hi. I am trying to setup LCDproc to work on my Mythbox. I have the system
>setup for dual boot to the other OS, and while running that OS and LCD
>Smartie, the display works flawlessly. (so I know it is wired correctly.)
>I have downloaded the latest version of LCDproc from their website,
>extracted the tarball, then did a "./configure --hd44780 && make && make
>install" and when it is done I try to start LCDproc, but I don't think I
>am doing it correctly. If anyone out there in MythTV land has gotten this
>up and running and working with MythTV, I would appreciate any help you
>can offer.

I have LCDproc(0.4.5) up and running with a Silverstone VFD (HD44780) on
FC4 with MythTv 18.1

0)      Do you have anything on the screen in linux?
                 - lines or dots...
                 - Do you get the LCDproc             Screen
                                 0 Clients 0 screens
                 If not, your not connecting (LCDd + Display)

Just some thoughts

1)      Which distro.... I'm running on FC4 which requires some file copies
                         - LCDd.conf --> /etc/LCDd.conf
                         + the init.d files

2)      When you do  LCDd -h do you see the HD44780 driver as being available.
                 - LCDproc installed in usr/local/....
                     - Had to compile directly the driver

3)      If you get garbled display ... Play with the cable, my printerport
is not powerful
         enough and had to be set properly.
         Is printer port turned on? (Mine wasn't the first time)

4)      Did you edit LCDd.conf (Specifically the hd44780 section)
                 - Connection type: Winamp
                 - This was done by trial and error for me.

5)      Did you set mythtv then reboot.

HtH...

         Mike G.