[mythtv-users] Mythtv esd support - prelim patch / proof of concept

Mark Cooke mpc at jts.homeip.net
Tue Aug 16 16:40:24 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I've bolted together some ESD support, and it appears to work to a
first-order on my setup.

The patch is based around the artsd support, and the libao2 ESD module
from mplayer's CVS.  It's under GPL v2.

Features:

- Does output sound via ESD
- wall-clock based timing for buffer fill levels for sync estimation
- Attempted compensation for esd latency.

Issues:

- General bodginess of the code
- Synchronisation issues
  - Lack of buffer usage data in the ESD api
  - Seems to need a -200ms delta on output on my setup.
- Small ESD buffer size means lots of work for the sound dispatch loop
- Sync issues after jumping forward/back
  - No 'flush output' in ESD api
  - Jump, pause, unpause usually fixes things
- Volume code appears to have a bad interaction with output and is
disabled.
- Sometimes no sound when starting a playback.
  - Restarting playback appears to fix it most times.

I've since reconfigured my setup so I don't need ESD any longer[*], but
I wanted to throw this patch out as a starting point for anyone to
continue to work on if it helps their situation.

Cheers,

Mark

[*] I'm using alsa's dmix setup for simultaneous output of multiple
sound streams instead of esd.
--
Mark Cooke <mpc at jts.homeip.net>