[mythtv-users] Advice needed for HD system

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 15:40:34 UTC 2005

I have a system mostly setup, with a backend connected to a Motorola 6200
via firewire. I get all the analog channels fine over the firewire, as well
as all the HD network channels (NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, UPN, WB, PBS) that the
cable company carries. I do not, however, get the digital channels or
non-network HD channels (DiscoveryHD, ESPNHD, etc) over the firewire.
 So my question is what are my options for being able to get the digital and
other HD channels into the computer at the best quality I can get?
 From my research so far, I think I have no hope of getting the other HD
channels at HD resolution without spending thousands of dollars for
something that will encode component video into MPEG in real time. So for
that, I'm just left with connecting the cable box component output to the TV
component input (the DVI input of the TV is already used by the frontend) so
I can at least watch them in HD, and forget about recording. Can anyone
think of anything better?
 For the digital channels, is there any better option than getting a PVR-250
to receive the s-video output of the cable box?
 Thanks,
-Jerry