[mythtv-users] Gee, I THOUGHT I was a linux fan.

shadestalker at gmail.com shadestalker at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 23:24:00 UTC 2005

On 8/15/05, Richard Bronosky <mythtv at bronosky.com> wrote:
> Lee wrote:
>

> >> 1.  After the initial install, I noticed it said it was testing
> >> DHCP.  I knew this was bad, because my router was set to do MAC address
> >> filtering.
> >
> > There are options to set the IP address when you installed KM...
>
> Right, but I was asking how to do this AFTER installation.  I fixed the
> IP address by completely reinstalling from scratch, which is a real
> stupid thing to have to do.  But when you spend 3 hours feeling like an
> idiot, it's time to humble out and admit you are one.  So, how does one
> setup the network on KnoppMyth (or maybe any Debian) AFTER initial install?

Edit /etc/network/interfaces to tell debian / knoppix how to bring up
your default interface.  'man interfaces' for information and some
good examples.  After that, it's as simple as running 'ifup
eth0.

Give yourself time to absorb this stuff so you don't get frustrated
and blame yourself or Knoppmyth.  It's usually just a question of
getting used to a certain way of doing things or knowing where to
start searching to find the answers.  I haven't used Knoppix except to
run off CD once or twice, but I highly recommend the Debian docs at
http://www.debian.org/doc/ as a starting point.