[mythtv-users] Tennis

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Mon Aug 15 23:11:51 UTC 2005

Chris Menard wrote:
> I always thought it would be nice to have a faster way to set up 'stop
> recording X miniuts like' for baseball games.
>
> when ever I set a game to record I to the settings screen and hit the
> button 60 times to add an hour to the end.  I dont want this for every
> show, just baseball games.

Press ">" 6 times.

> I thought a setting fot this data withing the 'recording profiles'
> would makes sense.  I would love a 'Sports' profile that added a
> configured amount of time.

There is an questionable feature now to add end time for all shows
of a certain category. This is presumably for "Sports events" but
doesn't say so and can only be applied to one category. However, if
you look at Search Lists->Categories and choose "Sports events" then
sort by title, you'll see that most are pre-recorded and don't need
any extra time. Having this turned on could cause confusion and
unwanted conflicts as the endtime is unexpectedly lengthened.

For live sports that may run over, the amount of time you expect to
need is different for different sports. MLS Soccer doesn't run late
and if it does it won't be by more than 5 or 10 minutes. An MLB baseball
game is as likely to go 2 1/2 hours as it is to go 4 1/2 hours.

> Am I missing a function/feature somewhere that would do this some how?

What I do is to use the "Multiple sports teams" example from Custom
Record (mythtv-HOWTO section coming soon) to set a "profile" of
recording options for all of the teams I follow in a sport. Currently,
I follow the Marlins and Giants so I set a single rule to record games
if either of these teams are playing. I set 59 minutes end time (so that
it can finish before preroll of a following show), a Recording Profile
with lower res but higher bitrate to handle motion better, and lower
priority so that it grabs a higher card number and leaves the main cards
for the regularly scheduled stuff. I can later add or remove teams from
the list (like why watch the Giants if Bonds is out?) and still have
the same parameters. For NCAA Basketball, I might have Gonzaga|Indiana|
Texas Tech|Duke all with 29 minutes for overtime as college hoops don't
go that far over even if there is one overtime.

--  bjm